The principles of public health are to recognise the differences between individual and population health and well being. The learning outcomes are to;
- State the basic information used in public health
- State the health protection measures to reduce transmission of infection both at home and at work.
In this topic we discuss:
- The differences between individual and population health and well being: Personal, individual health and the contribution of individuals to the wider health of an inclusive community.
- Understand how basic information is used in public health: e.g. Life expectancy, illness and disability rates, their use in understanding and action to improve the population‟s health and well-being.
- Health protection measures to reduce transmission of infection: The contribution of individuals in their personal and work capacity to reduce transmission of infection by correct hand washing and disposal of contaminated handkerchiefs. Role of vaccination and immunisation programmes and campaigns.